[ih] 'Internet' vs 'internet'

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Fri Oct 19 08:59:05 PDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 08:11:23AM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:
> > Why introduce partial first class ? Any form of data access to
> > the Internet that does not fully meet the definitions of
> > "On the Internet" is simply "Internet Access???.
>
> Largely to allow for the case where some ports are blocked and to avoid a debate on ???which ports??? and whether they???re important or not. See below regarding home gateways.

So whats the unambiguous distinction between partial first class and
second class ?

> >> Further, note that full first-class nodes can help other nodes become any class except itself.
> >
> > Well, the interesting explanations for laymen are something like:
>
> To me, FWIW, a layperson only needs to know:
>
> - can you control your content, how it is served, and how it is logged 100%? (first class)
> - can you get at Internet data managed by others, either reading or writing that data, but not under your control? (second class)

Yeah not very happy with this. Definitely difficult to find the most
simple laymen example of benefits for being "On the Internet" vs.
"Access to the Internet". Maybe:

The Internet is a place of innovation. If you have a computer "On the
Internet" then the only roadblock to partake in a new service on the
Internet is whether your Computer is supported. If your computer
just has "Access to the Internet", then there will be additional
equipment that may inhibit your computer to use the service. For example
if your computer has "Access to the Internet" via a home gateway with
IPv4, your new service may require you to buy a new home gateway,
or maybe there will never be a home gateway through which the new
service will work. If your computer is "On the Internet" because you
use IPv6 across the Home Gateway, there is no such problem.
Of course, most new services try to design themselves so that they
work across all those old gateways and allow use from as many as
possible "Access to the Internet" computers, but that really stifles
innovation, creates security and privacy risks, makes services more
expensive and complex.

> We can???t get down into the definition of a ???host??? for laypeople.

No, not the definition. Just introducing the term as equivalent to
a computer "On the Internet", which IMHO is good enough.

> > A computer "On the Internet" can only extend the Internet
> > to allow more computers to be "on the Internet" if it can
> > become a "Router on the Internet???.
>
> Strictly speaking, routers don???t need IP addresses themselves (unless they start also acting as hosts, e.g., to participate in protocols for in-band configuration, etc.)

Sure. I didn't say they need IP addresses.

> > A home gateway for example
> > can not do this when it just has IP because then it
> > only gets one IP address and because to be "on the internet"
> > every computer needs its own Internet IP address, the home
> > gateway needs to give private IP addresses to computer behind
> > it, granting them only more limited "access to the Internet???.
>
> A home gateway doesn???t 'give away' addresses; it translates addresses and ports.

Sure, but it gives the rfc1918 address (e.g.: via DHCP) to the computers
with "access to the Internet".

> Arguably, if the public side of a home gateway has a real, public IP address, then NAT???d devices behind it CAN be ???partial first class???, e.g., for some subset of ports assigned to each private-side host.

See above. Not enough gained IMHO to define this "partial class A"
rarther makes the definition of "On the Internet" unnnecessarily more
complex and soft edged.

> > With IPv6 on the other hand, the home gateway can become
> > a router "On the (IPv6) Internet" and make computers behind
> > it be Hosts "On the (IPv6) Internet???.
>
> IPv6 alone doesn???t magically allow a home gateway to become a router; this still requires that your ISP not block the addresses of your ???private side??? hosts (which they can do, and I suspect will do unless you pay more money for ??????commercial service???). Yes, the point of IPv6 is to allow that to happen, but ISPs can still interfere...

Sure. Though this was implied by 'can'. Else it would have ben
'can always'.

Cheers
    Toerless