[ih] Reporter query on the history of greater-than in quoted replies

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Sun Jul 22 11:57:43 PDT 2018

Dave et al.,
   In the world of Internet History, this is a quite small matter, but

[1] it is an unending source of amusement and very occasional
frustration when one sees the '>' preceding the word "From" in web sites
and emails and even on text displayed on TV shows where, somewhere along
the line, some piece of software was making sure it was not
misinterpreted as the beginning of an email message.  And very few
non-internet-nerds know what it's about.

[2] it also is a simple (and relatively harmless) example of how little
expedient decisions made *many* years ago, when combined with the need
for various forms of "compatibility", have consequences.

   I suspect that long after the cockroaches have gone extinct, that '>'
will still be popping up.
	-- Guy