[ih] Early Internet history

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Fri Jul 6 23:55:45 PDT 2018

After Namibia’s independence calls to South Africa remained VERY cheap for a while and only gradually increased. So I dialled Grahamstown with UUPC at first and later managed to have the local University absorb calls to Pretoria from their Olivetti (!) box.

Then Linux appeared and Taylor/UUCP with long and sliding packets. We then found an early version of smail making gzipping and batching possible which together made this very efficient.

Once I figured out M4 I could set up sendmail up to do this in 9 lines :-)-O and when we had enough “paying” users to cross the leased lime threshold it took them a week or so to figure out that mails took minutes instead of hours :-)-O

I still like (Taylor) UUCP and it might actually be more efficient over satellite phones than doing this over TCP/IP, especially if one could hack up something dropping all attachments and rejecting messages over a certain size to block circumvention :-)-O

This might actually be helpful in disaster recovery :-)-O

el

Sent from Dr Lisse’s iPad mini 4