[ih] Review: Yasha Levine's "Surveillance Valley"

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 20:47:13 PDT 2018

It might help to draw a distinction, as Alan Kay does in his lectures,
between innovation and invention. The former seems to mean "to make new"
something that already exists in some form, while the latter means making
something that has not ever existed before. Obviously the line between
these is not clear cut. But in my view something like the iPhone is very
clearly a case of innovation over invention.

Regarding PARC, my understanding from reading the historical literature is
that it's best to view what happened there as a kind of "last gasp" of the
ARPA research community. There were lots of ARPA project alumni there (some
two "academic generations" deep in ARPA research) and Bob Taylor helped run
the show in its prime.

It's not just big, risky sums of money. You need time and space to breathe.
I believe part of the PARC arrangement was there would be no corporate say
in what they were working on for the first five years or so.

Eric