[ih] Yasha Levine's Surveillance Valley: The Secret Military History of the Internet -- Some Questions

James B DiGriz jbdigriz at dragonsweb.org
Sun Apr 15 16:19:39 PDT 2018

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 17:09:21 -0400
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> On 4/15/18 4:47 PM, James B DiGriz wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 12:07:09 -0700
> > Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:
> >
> > <cut>
> >
> >> There was one paper about the Morse project published rather
> >> obscurely in a conference proceedings.  A poor but mostly legible
> >> copy survives in DTIC.  The paper about the Morse Project starts
> >> on page 128:
> >>
> >> http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a143691.pdf
> >>
> >> AFAIK, nothing we did in Lick's group was classified - at least not
> >> from our perspective.
> >>
> >> Some of you might find that paper interesting or at least
> >> nostalgic.
> >>
> >> /Jack
> >>
> > I'm pretty sure I would be interested, but unfortunately DTIC
> > access requires you to be a Federal employee, contractor, sponsored
> > foreign person, etc., as I found out after wading through the
> > registration process as a mere taxpayer ;-). Any chance that paper's
> > available anywhere else?
> >

> An awful lot of the documents on DTIC are available, to the public,
> without logging in.  INCLUDING the link listed above (I just
> checked). Did you try clicking on it? :-)
>
> Miles Fidelman

Tried with my phone and it finally downloaded. Firefox on this machine
kept firing up PDF.js no matter what, and the connection reset every
time. FWIW I got to the main login and registration stuff earlier by
trying an https link to the same file.

Thanks, though, and thanks to Jack for the link,
jbdigriz