[ih] Origin of "best effort"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:28:16 PST 2017

On 21/01/2017 06:50, Michael Greenwald wrote:
> Are we asking about the specific phrase "best effort"?
> Or the notion that IP doesn't guarantee preserving
> packet sequence, or even guarantee delivery?

Specifically, "best effort" because that is not the same thing as
unreliable or out-of-order delivery (clearly mentioned in Pouzin's
early papers) or type-of-service networking (also in Pouzin and RFC791).

To be clear, packets delivered by a "best effort" mechanism and
packets delivered by a "type of service" or "differentiated services"
mechanism are all subject to loss or out-of-order delivery and therefore
all trigger the end to end argument.

As I said, Internet governance people mix up "best effort" with the
end to end argument, but the latter is concerned with *unreliable*
delivery, not with best effort specifically.

By the 1990s it was a commonplace that Internet service was best effort,
but that was by contrast with the unused TOS feature of RFC791.

    Brian