[ih] Origin of "best effort"

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 11:35:01 PST 2017

For most of my life, the term “to make a best effort” had more the latter meaning that the former. It was just a colloquial phrase. I wouldn’t call it slang but similar.  As I said, in networking the phrase originates with Pouzin and CYCLADES and the invention of the datagram. That would put it in the early 1970s.

John