[ih] Arpanet line speed

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jan 18 14:16:03 PST 2017

That's an IMP interface, which was a peripheral device for the PDP-11
computers.  One of those was on the PDP-11/40 in a lab at BBN in Fall
1977, so it had become a commercial product before then.  It connected
between an IMP port, following the specifications in BBN 1822, and the
PDP-11 on the Unibus IIRC.  It didn't do much processing - just
transferred the ARPANET "messages" to and from the IMP and the computer
memory.

I wrote the first TCP for Unix, and that's how those IP packets got in
and out of the machine.  I spent many hours trying to figure out what
was going on by looking at those lights...

/Jack