[ih] First Eurociscos [was Ethernet, was Why TCP]

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Tue Sep 6 03:21:49 PDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/09/2016 10:28, Dave Crocker wrote:
> > On 9/5/2016 2:26 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> >> The game was over by 1991, although not everybody had realised it. The
> ITU didn't
> >> really fold until 1995, but ISO certainly got there sooner.
> >

> > That's probably a reasonable date to cite for declaring its failure as
> > being clearly and publicly visible, but I'd claim it was undeniably over
> > some years before that.
>
> It depended who you were and where you sat. For me the moment was when I
> presented a talk called "Is OSI too late?" at the RARE* conference in May
> 1989 - although the talk gave a mixed answer to that qustion, the audience
> reaction was conclusively "Yes". In January 1990, a committee of three and
> a half (B.Carpenter, L.Backstrom, G.Pujolle, assisted by P.Kirstein)
> reported to the RARE Council of Administration recommending that
> "RARE recognises TCP/IP as complementary to OSI and preferable to
> proprietary protocols for immediate use ... RARE recognises RIPE as an
> appropriate body for current TCP/IP  coordination activities..."
> and basically that's what happened. OSI efforts dragged on for a while,
> however.
>
> *The Europe-wide association of research networks at that time.

Brian's experience matches my recollection and what I found in sources when
went back and looked at this for the paper just published in Internet
Annals.
Different people date their realization that OSI was dead to different
dates,
generally between 1988 and 1992.  My sense is the closer you were to
operating
a network, the earlier the realization came.

Thanks!

Craig

--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and