[ih] First Eurociscos [was Ethernet, was Why TCP]

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Sep 5 04:09:44 PDT 2016

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2016 12:08, Dave Crocker wrote:
> >
> > I assume that ISO would not count as civilian?
> >
> > They are one of my solid European customers in the latter 1980s, so I
> > assume they had a router product (but not from me).
>
> There were quite a few Proteons about, but although I may well have known at
> the time, I've no idea what ISO had. I suppose they were mainly an X.400/X.25 shop
> at that time? (To my knowledge, the ITU's first contact with the Internet was when
> CERN gave Guy Girardet an email account in 1991, so I'm sure they had no IP in the
> 1980's.)

I seem to remember one of the criticisms of OSI around that time was that
it was so unready for production that even ISO used TCP/IP.

e.g. this account of Carl Malamud's visit in 1991 mentions this fact
towards the end - http://museum.media.org/eti/Prologue01.html

Tony.
Viking, North Utsire: Southerly 4 or 5, increasing 6 or 7. Slight or moderate,
becoming moderate or rough. Occasional rain. Good, occasionally poor later.