[ih] Berlin Internet Museum

Kauto Huopio huopio at iki.fi
Tue Mar 8 14:01:00 PST 2016

Couple of ideas..this might sound very nerdy, but there _is_ actually
layers upon
layers of technology and interaction with users/information sources that
just
wait to be documented and presented

-Technical-wise
 -Internet technical structure throughout the timeline
  -core routers, development of transmission technology
  -access technologies (dialup, ISDN, ADSL, cable, various wireless
solutions)
  -importance of fiber at various level
  -how seacable systems work
 -development of data centers
 -hosting - from individual servers to cloud technologies
-how internet spread around the globe..first connections, odd locations for
datacenters,
-history of internet exchanges and how they changed the infrastructure
landscape in various cities/countries

-Core internet tecnologies
 -TCP/IP
 -Address space usage and development
 -IPv4/v6
 -Routing from static routes to present day
 -Services.. telnet, smtp, gopher, http, internet streaming
 -History of the engineering..RFC:s, IETF
 -Spesific exhibit on the birth of WWW and associated technolgies
 -History of browsers
-Internet streaming, from early trials to the Multicast Backbone to present
day

-Important persons on internet development and operations like Joe
Postel..how they
 got involved, their ethos

-Internet of Things history from first connected soda vending machines,
webcams to
 today's tools

-Whole big departiment for Content
 -working examples of various content services from early days to present
day
 -Internet Archives at work..various terminals could have many websites in
year 1999, 200x etc..
 -Important historical events like the Moscow Coup, Iraq war, 9/11, even
present-day like Ukraine
 -Sports in internet - how coverage of Olympics have changed over years,
and
 -History of gaming _in_ Internet - Nethack etc..
 -History of mobile internet..first phones with internet connectivity etc..

-Commercial history of internet - first ISP:s, development of
peering/transit, service providers,
 content providers, powerhouses like Yahoo, Google, eBay
-Rural internet, internet on developing countries

-The speed of internet development - just think how little has happened in
such a very compressed
 time period

Special themes, these could be rotating:

-Internet and crime
-Commerce, banking, stock trade (what is the meaning for distance and
latency..)
-Internet as critical infrastructure

-A glimpse on the future?

Just a couple of ideas..

--Kauto

Kauto Huopio - kauto at huopio.fi
Hansakallionkuja 12 A 1, 02780 Espoo, Finland
Tel. +358 50 5364717