[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 105, Issue 30

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Aug 31 06:50:48 PDT 2016

Hi Olivier:

What the article hints at, but doesn’t quite say, is that TCP was the answer to a question, namely how to do we link packet radio networks (and some other
types of networks) to a network like ARPANET?

As I recall the story (I arrived on the scene later), Bob Kahn was in the process of funding Packet Radio Networks and he and Vint needed to solve the
interconnection problem and that motivated the TCP paper.

Thanks!

Craig

PS: Footnote — originally TCP contained both TCP and what we now call IP.  IP was made a standalone protocol after a hallway debate in (I believe) 1977.