[ih] Fwd: [Dewayne-Net] The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:55:18 PDT 2016

On 21/08/2016 11:16, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> I remember doing a few projects based on gopher - back in the early 1990s.
>
> I kind of wonder if the web would have just been one in a series of file
> sharing technologies - progressing from FTP, to MIT Tech Info, to
> Gopher, to the Web, to <something else> - if it had not been for Marc
> Andreessen (Mosaic) and and Robert McCool (the NCSA deamon that became
> Apache) at NCSA.

I think another portable graphical browser would have come along soon enough.
Tim's team was fixated on the NeXt for a while, but Unix workstations were
rapidly becoming dominant in academia, so - without taking anything away from
NCSA - somebody else would have done it, IMHO. Very possibly somebody at CERN,
in fact.

    Brian