[ih] Fiction->History

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Wed Sep 23 19:27:19 PDT 2015

Been a while since I have asked a completely off-the-wall question—if
this is another one, let it quietly die uncommented-upon, since it is
not about “Internet History”.  But I do find it interesting in that
context because it appears, in a way, to be an example of fiction
predicts (or drives?) fact.

In 1977 there was a book titled “The Adolescence of P-1” (Thomas Joseph
Ryan) about a guy that wrote a program (“The System”) that Wikipedia
calls a “virus” but I think of as a Morris-class “worm” that takes of
all of the computers in the world (all 18 of them?).

At the time, I thought “this is too far-fetched” and “I know quite a lot
of about one main-frame operating system (Exec 8) and that would not be
possible” and assumed the other two or three main-frame operating
systems would be similarly resistant.

But the “networking” (had the term been invented yet) then seemed
reasonable.

But the big attack on believability was in the dependence of the plot on
armies of system administrators that never cross-checked anything, that
mindlessly approved bills for payment; that left doors unlocked and
open—surely no computer center existed with such lax controls.

But the part about the book that intrigues me most is the crude
primitive nature of the networking described along with the recognition
that I was a part of systems that used those very communications methods
and thought they (1.3 megabit dial-ups and stuff) were surely as good as
it was going to get.

So.  Finally, we get to my question.  While I know that there is lots of
television comedy material poking hard-earned ridicule at kids cracking
computers, has anybody looked in a scholarly way at
fiction-that-becomes-fact in the world of networked computers?

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)