[ih] Significant milestones in the history of TCP/IP

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 19:23:54 PDT 2015

That would sort of depend on how much your site was relying on the Net for its work.

On any given day in the early-mid 70s, we would have anywhere from 20 - 30 people on the Net working (the terminals would have been in the building and running at 9600). Of course, if you were working from home which several of us did mainly evenings. Dial-up was slower. Most were developing code (editing remotely, no local file system) or related tasks.  Several times a day we would download code files to test. Others were submitting big compute jobs at either CCN or Rutherford and either doing sizable print jobs or generating large files for Calcomp plotters. In addition, we had users of a land-use management systems that used multiple databases on the net and displayed it as shaded maps on the LSI-11 based terminals that had plasma screens and touch.

I remember early on when we were transitioning we had a slow line (perhaps it was 4800, might have been slower) just for submitting jobs and downloading code files. It was very tedious.

Without the 56K lines, I think that would have been very painful.  As it was, the pain was more how slow the hosts were rather than how slow the Net was.  Which was probably what was important: that the hosts were more a bottleneck than the network.  Not that one would saturate the lines. That seldom happened.  But slow lines with character echoes would have been very painful.  It wasn’t great as it was.

Take care,
John