[ih] Significant milestones in the history of TCP/IP

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Wed Sep 16 07:09:01 PDT 2015

Re.

Alex McKenzie wrote:

> Whether anything about the ARPAnet had much to do with the history of
> TCP/IP is a different question, but if people think the answer to that
> question is "yes" then probably both Baran and Davies also belong in
> the story.

One might point out three things:
- Both Cerf and Kahn served as ARPANET Program Manager
- the NCP to TCP/IP cutover was perhaps the most significant date in
TCP/IP history (except maybe for publication of the "A Protocol for
Packet Network Intercommunication" 10 years earlier)
- ARPANET split in half to create the MILNET (DDN) - made possible by
IP, and arguably when the we began to have a real IP based Internet as a
growing network-of-networks tied together by IP (before that TCP/IP was
more experimental than operational, as I recall)

Miles Fidelman
BBN '85-'92 - worked on the early DDN, too late for the ARPANET, which
was being whittled down when I got there