[ih] Why was DVMRP put into IGMP?

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Thu Sep 3 05:43:17 PDT 2015

Forwarded with permission.  Note the question that David has of his own
at the end.

From: David Waitzman <dwaitzman at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ih] Why was DVMRP put into IGMP?
John,

Craig Partridge forwarded me your inquiry.  I was the primary
implementor of the first version of DVMRP, as described in RFC-1075.

I think your second paragraph nailed the reason: we kept the IP
multicast protocols together.

Regarding RIP: I originally wanted to call the protocol MRIP (Multicast
RIP), but was voted down since RIP (the version of that time) was
+considered a poor protocol.

One interesting tidbit which I would loved to have verified by Internet
historians, is that DVMRP defined the very first IP tunnels.  I
+originally used this feature to tunnel multicast packets across the
ARPAnet.