[ih] How the Soviet Union Sent Its First Man to the Internet in 1982

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 16:22:35 PST 2015

What does this statement in the full story mean?

> This is why a top level “.su” domain (for Soviet Union) still remains on the domain market today, despite ICANN’s requests to delete it.

As every fule know, su is "Exceptionally reserved" in IS3166, the same status as uk.
Its ownership is presumably a national matter for Russia, as the main successor state of
the USSR.

That said, the story is interesting. It wasn't actually the Internet, but never mind.

I recall a visit in 1981 to the high-energy physics lab normally known as 'Serpukhov'
(Серпухов) but actually located at Protvino (Протвино́). They had a bunch of knock-off
PDP-11s (made in Czechoslovakia, I think) and were very interested in the idea
of networking them together somehow. They would have had to build all the equipment
themselves. Their 'mainframe' was a BESM-6, which looked like something from the late
1950s but was actually a knock-off Ferranti Atlas. There was certainly no modem in the
place, and no photocopier either. Also no knives in the cafeteria; you had to bring
your own.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter