[ih] *off list*

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Wed Sep 3 13:31:40 PDT 2014

Am 02.09.2014 um 21:47 schrieb Craig Partridge:
>> My basic assumption is always that hardware works as designed.
> I think the examples you've been given should cause you to realize that
> assumption is false.  If not, I'm sure many many many more examples can
> be provided.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Craig
I'm not comfortable with this kind of debabe, particularly not with this
comment by Paul Vixie.

Although, you won't believe me, I want to conduct research. And i
research, we use models and assumptions.

And I really wonder, not to say I'm appalled, that we do not put in
question the most ludicrous assumptions, e.g. in the context of Little's
theorem and even more nonsense - and build PhD theses and research
projects upon them, while at the same time we throw red herrings with
defective Ethernet interfaces.

As I said, I worked in user support for quite some years, so I'm not
unlikely to have seen (and replaced) much more defective network
interfaces in my life than you all together ;-)

However, when I try to understand TCP congestion algorithms, I have to
make reasonable and decent assumptions. Amongst these are intact interfaces.

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                           skype:     detlef.bosau