[ih] When was Go Back N adopted by TCP

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon May 19 08:02:59 PDT 2014

Hi Detlef:

I don't keep the 4.3bsd code around anymore, but here's my recollection
of what the code did.

4.3BSD had one round-trip timeout (RTO) counter per TCP connection.

On round-trip timeout, send 1MSS of data starting at the lowest outstanding
sequence number.  Set the RTO counter to the next increment.

Once an ack is received, update the sequence numbers and begin slow start
again.

What I don't remember is whether 4.3bsd kept track of multiple outstanding
losses and fixed all of them before slow start or not.  Others probably
remember (and may also have corrections to the above).

Thanks!

Craig

Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies