[ih] FC vs CC Re: [e2e] Fwd: Re: Once again buffer bloat and CC. Re: A Cute Story. Or: How to talk completely at cross purposes. Re: When was Go Back N adopted by TCP

James P.G. Sterbenz jpgs at ittc.ku.edu
Fri Aug 22 23:45:04 PDT 2014

On 22 Aug 2014, at 08:56, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>> From: "James P.G. Sterbenz" <jpgs at ittc.ku.edu>
>
>> All network historians and scientists should own ...
>> L. Pouzin, _The Cyclades Computer Network_, North-Holland, 1982
>
> Indeed - it has an honoured place on my bookshelf. The importance of
> CYCLADES/CIGALE in the history of data network cannot be over-emphasized,
> IMO.
>
>> in which congestion is covered in Chap. 4 on Cigale.
>
> 4.4.6, to be exact. Looking at their congestion control mechanism, it's
> fairly complex - not sure if it would work in a heterogeneous network like
> today's Internet, though. Still, interesting...
>
>> There were likely much earlier Cyclades papers mentioning congestion
>> before this retrospective monograph.
>
> Yes, about the earliest appears to be:
>
>  M. Irland, "Queueing analysis of a buffer allocation scheme for a packet
>  switch", Proc. IEEE-NTC '75, New Orleans, Dec. 1975

Thanks for digging up the references; I’ll try to track this one down...

> There are some slightly earlier ones by him (her?), but they appear to be
> progress reports on a simulation project which was part of a PhD thesis at
> the University of Waterloo (completed in April 1977), and not widely
> distributed.
>

> In looking for the references in that book to the congestion work, though, I
> stumbled across this one:
>
>  D. W. Davies, "The Control of Congestion in Packet Switching Networks",
>  Proc. 2nd Symp. on Problems of Optimization of Data Comm. Systems,
>  Palo Alto, Oct. 1971
>
> I don't have access to that, but it would be interesting to see what it
> covers.

It is probably a slightly earlier version of http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=1091198

There is at least one copy on the open Web if you don’t have IEEE Xplore access, but I’m not going to link it directly in a public forum (having made that mistake once here before).

I think I’ll see if my librarians can track the earlier reference down; it would be nice to have.

The Davies book I referenced is still readily available on the secondary market; I got my first copy in the late 1970s and then a second one when the GTE Laboratories library (RIP) shut down: www.amazon.com/Communication-Networks-Computers-Wiley-computing/dp/0471198749

And of course there is the almost-as-important followon:
Davies, Barber, Price, and Solomonides.
_Computer Networks and their Protocols_,
Wiley, 1979

I cover all of NPL, Cyclades, and ARPANET in my networking courses; while ARPANET won as the direct architectural predecessor to the Internet, the others were seminal research peers.

Cheers,
James

James P.G. Sterbenz   jpgs@{ittc|eecs}.ku.edu   jpgs at comp.lancs.ac.uk
www.ittc.ku.edu/~jpgs   154 Nichols ITTC|EECS   InfoLab21 Lancaster U