[ih] Lessons to be learnt from Internet history

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Tue Feb 19 15:54:47 PST 2013

Well, yeah, it's hard to design future-proof systems but it can be done
by building in hooks for the substitution of newer versions of things.
My understanding of TCP/IP is the operating consensus in the early 80s
was that TCP/IP was a temporary protocol that would someday be replaced
wholesale with something better, probably OSI. But that didn't happen
for a number of reasons and as a result we have this system that's very,
very difficult to upgrade. The IPv6 "transition" shows just how hard it is.

Specifically, the IPv4 address could have had some sort of format/length
indicator, but it doesn't because it was never meant to last.

Maybe it's just as well because a length byte in the header probably
would have meant that some other vital piece of information would have
to go.

--
Richard Bennett