[ih] The story of BGP?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Feb 8 11:04:23 PST 2013

    > From: Scott Brim <scott.brim at gmail.com>

    >> a document from Guy Almes, March 1989 (i.e. 3 months prior) entitled
    >> "Midterm Inter-AS Routing Architecture"

    > Noel, is that the one with the path vector (domain level route
    > segments) idea? Did it discuss "0, 1, infinity"?

Haven't the foggiest - I only glanced at the first page or two briefly.
I've scanned it in (too lazy to OCR it), you can see it here:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/history/Almes_[1-6].jpg

I don't seem to have a copy of any version of EGP3, and I couldn't find one
online. If anyone has a copy, I would most appreciate it.

    > Was the shutdown of the ARPAnet a big factor?

I don't think so; I think it was more the growth of the NSFNet, the
regionals, etc (and the 'Net as a whole) which did it.

I don't know if the increasing number of 'back-door' connections directly
between non-core AS's was a factor: I suspect the stated inability of EGP2 to
handle cycles in the topology (which I think people hacked around with
EGP<->IGP metric translation tables, etc) probably wasn't as big a driver as
EGP2's lack of multi-packet routing updates; as the routing table got bigger,
that just wouldn't fly. But I wasn't in operations any more by then, others
would know more about that.

	Noel