[ih] Ping Eduardo A. Suárez (was Re: What is the origin of the root account?)

Eduardo A. Suárez esuarez at fcaglp.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar
Fri Apr 12 14:43:44 PDT 2013

Hi Larry,

thanks for all your contributions, it's nice to read old stories.

I was reviewing a large number of documents on the origins of Unix,
and the different versions that I found on this site
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ and the only manual that
calls the super user "root" is SunOS 1.1 manual from 1984. Since SunOS
it's based on 4.1BSD and the manual of that version and the latter
(4.3BSD, etc.) does not refer to a "root" account, I could imagine
that "root" is the brainchild of Sun.

But it's just my intuition because I have no internal document from
Sun to support this assumption.

Thanks, Eduardo.-

--
Eduardo A. Suarez
Facultad de Ciencias Astronómicas y Geofísicas - UNLP