[ih] CURIOSITY...

Andreu Veà i Baró landreu at gmail.com
Fri May 25 07:31:34 PDT 2012

After a nice interview with Jake Feinler, few years ago a name got in the
air

And today I realized that maybe someone here might know the answer of who
protagonized this anecdotal situation,

               &reu

Jon Postel at ISI was responsible for coordinating the testing of the TCP/IP
protocols. Periodically all implementers checked in to report their progress
or lack thereof and to discuss problems encountered. Jon called these
"bake-offs" after the Pillsbury baking contests that give awards for the
best recipes. It was getting close to the TCP/IP cutover time and the
implementations were running behind schedule, so Jon was putting pressure on
everyone to get their work done - no excuses. During one bake-off very close
to the cutover Jon polled everyone and got responses from everybody but one
person. He sent out a couple of terse messages on the delivery date, but
received no answer. The next day the delinquent fellow wrote in to say that
he hadn't sent in his input because his house burned down. Needless to say
that gave new meaning to the term "bake-off" and there were lots of
hilarious emails going back and forth about that. Unfortunately, I have
forgotten who was the hapless implementer. Someone at ISI probably can fill
in the name.

Andreu Veà, Ph.D.

WiWiW.org Founder & Director

Who is Who in the Internet World

“A perpetual archive devoted to internet pioneers worldwide”

andreu at vea.cat

+34 656 99 00 58 (now in Spain @ UTC+2)