[ih] email at scale

Leo Vegoda leo at bind.org
Wed May 23 17:34:55 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:09:00AM -0700, Tony Li wrote:

[...]

> Pretty much any country that has some kind of economy has banks and notaries
> and such - otherwise, international contracts and business would be pretty
> much impossible.  That's a pretty good place to start.

I think banks and notaries get you a fair way but don't come close
enough for anything that is truly inclusive. Even in developed
countries like Britain there are still millions of people who do not
have bank accounts but those people still have access to
telecommunications systems using pre-pay accounts. Anything that
relies on banks excludes a lot of people and while it's common to have
notaries in UPS stores and so on in the US their services are used
less in other countries, so there are fewer available. There are
barely 1,000 in England & Wales.

Leo