[ih] email at scale

Leo Vegoda leo at bind.org
Tue May 22 10:59:44 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:09:00AM -0700, Tony Li wrote:

[...]

> At this point, the entire notion of identity seems to have some very strong requirements for security.  And security has become pretty deeply rooted in cryptography, which is obviously an ongoing arms race. So I think you are correct that we are in fact doomed, but should try anyway.

Assuring identity is not so difficult in controlled structures,
like a company or government department. It is more difficult to do
for the public at-large because there might well not be any official
identity service. In a country where there are government issued or
approved identity documents I can see how identity could be
bootstrapped. How would it be done in a country where no such
service exists and the majority of the population vote against the
creation of such a service?

Leo