[ih] Why FTP uses two ports?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Jun 21 08:32:31 PDT 2012

They were unidirectional.  But I don't remember that had anything to
do with it.  It did mean you only had to open a data connection in
one direction.  The only thing the limitation on sockets required was
the use of ICP, the Initial Connection Protocol.

But it really was so that you could send commands during a transfer
and they wouldn't get queued up behind a lot of the file transfer,
AND that it had to be usable by the TIPs, which did not have a file
system.  And as Dave said, the data connection could be binary.  It
could take awhile to drain a pipe in those days.

There were some FTPs done early that only did one full duplex
connection.  I think the UK protocol was like that.  But I don't
remember how they handled the abort situation.

John