[ih] Why FTP uses two ports?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Jun 21 03:51:08 PDT 2012

The primary reason for using two ports was so
that FTP commands didn't get stuck behind the
data transfer.  Things could be a lot slower in
those days and a fair amount could be buffered.
If one started a transfer and then wanted to
abort it, the command would get there and be
acted on rather than wait behind the data
transfer which might have queued quite a lot.

Secondarily, it enabled 3rd party transfers.
Third, on the TIPs, you were the FTP user
process.  You were typing the commands and
getting the replies.  (This is why FTP commands
are text and why FTP uses Telnet and why FTP
replies have a number (for a program to act on)
and an arbitrary string of text for the human to
see.)  The TIP could hardwire sockets to a
printer or card reader so that the file would go
to the printer and the user could still type
commands.

BTW, I know that many textbooks and well-known
professors describe Telnet as a remote login
protocol.  It isn't.  It is a terminal device
driver protocol.  This is why this class of
protocols use to be called virtual terminal
protocols.  Remote log in is one application
built using Telnet.  Telnet was also used in FTP,
RJE, CCNRJE, and SMTP.

Take care,
John