[ih] Geek Terminology (was Re: Resource sharing)

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sun Dec 23 17:51:37 PST 2012

The use of the "cloud" terminology has been interesting and amusing.
It really shows how much more adept the marketers have become at
deceiving even the technically knowledgeable.

A few years ago, I remember reading an interview with Schmidt at
Google in the NY Times by Steve Zohr about the next big thing being
the cloud.  You could almost see Zohr hanging on every word (fawning
would not have been too strong a description of the interview) as he
asks Schmidt how much goes in the cloud vs how much stays on the PC.
Schmidt draws a box on a whiteboard and puts a line thru it at one
end, saying 90% in the cloud and 10% on the PC, just the user
interface.  Zohr ate it up.  Meanwhile I was rolling on the floor
with laughter:  It was back to SNA.  The PC as 3270 talking to the
mainframe.

In the 1970s and 80s, the phone companies liked to talk about
offering services "in the network."  With phone companies in most of
the world being monopolies, this was considered abhorrent, an attempt
at big brother, etc. etc. There was much railing against it. A
violation of the vaunted end-to-end principle.  There must be a dumb
network, etc. But here is precisely the same thing.  Notice how much
more acceptable "in the cloud" is, even used with a tone of wonder,
and in place of the phone company, we have Google and Amazon and
Facebook.  It is the same idea, just dressed up better.  Actually it
is a bigger threat to us this time that the previous incarnations,
but we seem far less concerned and much more trusting of it.

This has lead me to describe the timeline as:  mainframes for the
70s, client/server for the 80s, network computer for the 90s, and the
cloud for the 00s.  (pun intended).  ;-)

No the cloud is just a more successful marketing term for the same
model with updated hardware.

The whole thing has gotten a whole lot more sophisticated and even
the engineers are duped.  Do you really think that Instagram didn't
expect that reaction to the change?  Given what has happened before
how could they not?  (A real case of incompetence or intent, no other
choice).  Now watch, having pushed their customers, they will back
off, then slowly but surely they will make small changes that will
largely go unnoticed, or viewed as "they learned their lesson they
are only doing small things" until they are back to what they
announced last week.  Comments from the head of Instagram I have seen
as much as say that.