[ih] First file transfer on ARPANET

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 06:53:54 PST 2012

Re IMP-to-IMP reloads, these were pretty simple in my memory, i.e., an IMP
asked a *neighbor* IMP for a reload and the neighbor sent it down the
IMP-IMP communication circuit.  This was perhaps  just using the send and
receive packet hardware instructions to transfer a very big packet -- can't
remember that either.   I also can't remember if an IMP could tell a
neighboring IMP to reload from it.

I also can't remember if there was a capability for the PDP-1 at the
Network Monitory Center to ask an IMP to send a memory dump to the PDP-1.
 If there was, this might be closer to an FTP kind of file transfer than
the IMP-to-IMP-reload "file transfer".