[ih] Quick Question

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Sep 30 11:24:58 PDT 2011

    > From: Jorge Amodio <jmamodio at gmail.com>

    > Besides ARPANET another contemporary network was SPAN (NASA,
    > primarily DECNet based), I remember reading somewhere that around
    > those days 20,000 scientist were using it.

There was also HEPNET, for particle physicists, which also ran DECNET.
There doesn't seem to be any history online that I could find quickly, but
there's a certain amount of detail given in "Exploring the Internet: A
Technical Travelogue", by Carl Malamud (pp. 292-293). It was later
replaced by ESNet.

I have this vague memory that HEPNET and SPAN were connected together at
some point? I seem to recall issues with the DECNET address space not
being large enough in earlier versions of DECNET, which caused problems....

	Noel