[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 14:23:47 PST 2011

>Of course, IMP-IMP and IMP-Host are at the /same/ layer, upon which
>there is sender-IMP-to-receiver-IMP (with the error correction and flow
>control at that level), and then there is Host-Host, and then all the

The proper terminology here is that they were different layers of the
same rank.

I don't think there was much confusion if any about interfaces and
protocols in the ARPANET or the research networks in general.
Interfaces were within a system, i.e. APIs and protocols were between
systems.

This was all "in the air" from Dykstra's THE and the common practive
even then of building software as blackboxes.  This use of interface
as between software modules within a system was quite common in
computing.  Although not in telelcom.  But then we weren't doing
telecom.

There was confusion once we encountered the CCITT who considered
interfaces as being between boxes.  Especially between boxes owned by
different entities.  But that was the old beads-on-a-string model
that was being replaced.  To them interface and protocol were the
same thing.