[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Feb 18 07:51:04 PST 2011

On 2/18/2011 6:45 AM, Craig Partridge wrote:
> If you read the original OS layering paper by Hubert Zimmerman it is
> clearly a top-down management work plan.  Useful to compare it with
> the ARPANET layering paper of a few years later.  The difference is Zim's
> "here's how we'll break up the problem of developing standards" vs.
> "here's why creating TELNET led us to a layered architecture".

As I recall, documentation of the Arpanet approach to layering occurred as a
response to the OSI papers.  Prior to that it was de facto but not documented.

One consequence is that different folk divided things up differently.  The
Arpanet approach was shown as anywhere from 3 to 5 layers...

In fact, I used to do presentations that mapped Arpanet and Internet details
rather comfortably to the 7-layer model.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking