[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 16:16:20 PST 2011

I partially agree with you, and I didn't mean to engage in that kind of
tautology. Of course, what I mean is IFIP, whose work was intended to
contribute to OSI (IFIP reports describe the WG 6.5 work as pre-standards
work for OSI). I should point out, however, that I never referred to X.500
and that has crept into the conversation in some other way.

This also may just be a matter of dissonant worldviews. Where in OSI you see
a series of discrete, technically explicit standards, I see an (overly?)
ambitious, top-down standards project for computer networking that was
unprecedented by international standards work at the time. It reflects a
profounding optimistic perspective that relies on a consistently global view
concerning the application of these technologies. Those involved in this
overal project were obviously going to bring this optimism and global
perspective to whatever related projects that they were involved with. IFIP
people were involved with DNS and the work of IFIP was the closest related
to the same issues that DNS addressed.

--
Eric