[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu Feb 17 08:29:03 PST 2011

> Sorry to rudely change the topic, but since people appear to be in a lively
> mood for debate, I wanted to ask a very broad question. To what extent can
> we consider the DDN NIC of the late 80s as a "model" for other similar
> network administrative organizations throughout the world?

Hi Eric:

Could you define "network administrative organizations"?  I googled and
got network admins = network operations -- and the DDN NIC did not do
most of the things we'd consider network operations.

The prototype network operations centers were at BBN [ARPANET/MILNET/CSNET] in
the early 1980s and then, once NSFNET started, at the NSFNET regional
networks -- I suspect AT&T Indian Hills [ihnp4] had a pretty sophisticated
operation too.

The NIC did things that ARIN such do now.

Thanks!

Craig