[ih] "secure" email, take 5 or 6 or 7 (was Re: secure email was The Internet Plan; was: Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet)

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Feb 17 06:44:19 PST 2011

On 2/16/2011 4:52 PM, James Galvin wrote:
> I believe that DNSSEC makes this eminently doable.

PEM, MOSS, PGP, S/MIME and probably several more previous efforts make pretty
clear that the major challenge for email security is administrative, not
technical.  Whatever is going to succeed, it is going to have to have massively
better user and operations human factors, especially with respect to administration.

I can imagine DNSSEC being helpful to that, although its painfully slow
development and uptake do not bode well.  Still, there /is/ uptake and I am
/finally/ confident that a sufficient DNSSEC infrastructure will eventually
arrive.  However I don't have a sense of its on-going OA&M burden.

The alternative is DKIM, which is already tailored to message signing and is far
easier to deploy and operate.  However it's semantics are intentionally more
modest than folks have in mind here.  It does not authenticate a message,
frequent statements to the contrary notwithstanding.  It authenticates the
presence of an identifier in the message, but that presence does not mean that
the contents are valid, not even the FROM: field.

Relatively small tweaks to DKIM's use could change this.  It wouldn't be "DKIM"
but it could re-use almost all of DKIM's details.  (Note that the formal
semantics of a protocol are not necessarily defined by packet and data details,
but by the port number the application uses.  Hence SMTP has different semantics
on port 25 than on port 587, in spite of being the 'same' protocol... The
equivalent to a new port number for DKIM could be a different header field from
the DKIM-Signature field used to hold a DKIM signature in a message.)

It happens that I've recently been working on a re-purposing of DKIM to this
end.  I floated a preliminary effort by the DKIM working group, but the timing
was not right.  So a couple of us are pursuing it separately.  A draft will be
available soon.  This thread, as well as some market pull by a private industry
activity, have escalated the priority of the effort.  Watch this space.

For a couple of years, there has been some background interest in finding ways
for DNSSEC and DKIM to be complementary.  My current view is that this will work
best by having DKIM-ish technology provide the message security services and
having DNSSEC close the security hole of using the DNS for storing keys.  The
incentive for doing this depends on fear of a compromised DNS.  With respect to
email security this probably is highest when the use of message security is
high-value, such as for financially-based transactional mail.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking