[ih] Why is TUBA assigned IP version 9

Steve Deering deering at brunzel.org
Tue Sep 21 19:01:38 PDT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 11:33 AM, John Kristoff wrote:

> Anyone know why TUBA was assigned IP version 9?

During the IPng process, I applied to IANA for an IP version number
assignment for use in prototype implementations of SIP (Simple
Internet Protocol), my proposal for IPng.  SIP was assigned number 6,
because that was the next available value.  In order not to be seen as
"blessing" SIP as the next version of IP,  Jon at the same time
assigned IP version numbers to all the other IPng candidates then
under consideration in the IETF, even though their headers didn't have
or require an IP version number field.  Those assignments were as
follows:

  6 - SIP
  7 - TP/IX
  8 - PIP
  9 - TUBA

SIP evolved/mutated into what was eventually adopted for IPng, and
simply kept its version number.

Steve