[ih] Origination date for the Internet

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Thu Oct 28 17:18:51 PDT 2010

Bob,
   You're right about the big yellow cable.  And, at some sites, the one
person who could consistently drill into it without shorting it out was
the one person in the department who could not be fired.
   But this 1983 period saw the confluence of several things:
<> the ARPAnet going to IP
<> Berkeley 4.1 and later 4.2 coming out
<> the VAX-11/750 making it attractive to have multiple small
time-sharing systems in a department
<> the beginnings of Sun and the emerging "scientific workstation" market
<> the DIX work on 10Mb/s Ethernet becoming mature
   So, the point is just that the rapid growth in LANs was important to
the Internet becoming important, even apart from multiple wide-area
networks.
	-- Guy