[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Oct 15 18:25:00 PDT 2010

Hi Vint,

HTML5 was born somewhat after my tour of duty in W3C, so I'm not
familiar with the details.  But I think it's intent is primarily to
encode rich multi-media content - "documents" - so that they can be
passed across a wide range of user interfaces (PC screens, phones, etc.)
It's very good for adding structure to documents.

I was referring to XML as a way of conveying email *header* information,
among other things.  Conveying the email metadata in a structured way
isn't a new idea - it was embodied in RFC713 and RFC722 back in 1976,
from the sometimes pounding-head-against-a-wall experience I had in
building one of the MIT email systems.

Having structured data enables all sorts of new user functionality -
e.g., archiving email and being able to later do very powerful searches.
The email program I wrote did this kind of stuff within its own world,
but the interactions across the net to other email systems and to the
DataComputer were too unwieldy and error-prone to do any fancy stuff in
a distributed way.  Hence the motivation for structured data in the
protocols.

So, yes, HTML5 would be the way to transport email content.   But XML or
something with similar characteristics would handle the metadata of the
headers and events (like delivery, reply, forward, addressees,
distribution lists, etc.).  Couple that with today's hardware and
database technology, and very cool things are possible.

On the other hand, most of the planet now seems enamored with typing
one-liner messages with their thumbs...

/Jack

PS We seem to have wandered pretty far away from "IPV4 Ownership", so
I'll be quiet now...