[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Oct 12 08:28:00 PDT 2010

    > From: Dave CROCKER <dhc2 at dcrocker.net>

    > On 10/11/2010 5:14 PM, John Day wrote:

    >> Do you own the address where your house is?  When you move do you take it with
    >> you? Do you get your mail at the address where you were born?

    > You mean like portable phone numbers, especially ones that are easier
    > to remember?

Neither one of those analogies is entirely applicable. One phrase for
everyone here: 'separation of location and identity'.

However, the former analogy is more applicable to IPvN addresses than the
latter. For one, portable phone numbers are (now) the equivalent of DNS
names. I.e. to actually use them for communication, they _have_ to go through
a binding layer, the output of which is the number's current, actual
location. (The fact that the _syntax_ of the output of that mapping looks
like the input, i.e. phone numbers, doesn't change the fact that the
_semantics_ of the output - i.e. the properties of that output number - are
different from the input.)

	Noel