[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 11 21:19:53 PDT 2010

On Oct 11, 2010, at 11:38 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> some say the issue is not whether legacy holders own the space so much
> as whether RIRs have the slightest rights in space the legacy holder
> got from isi, sri, or other early allocators.  how did they suddenly get
> in the middle anyway?

Randy -

All organizational assignments and allocations (except those located within
RIPE NCC and APNIC regions) were transferred to ARIN at inception. Reference
mods #6 & #7 of the previously noted NetSol/NSF cooperative agreement which
transferred these registration services tasks to ARIN.  I don't know what
"rights" per se you refer to, but know ARIN ended up with *responsibilities*
to manage these resources in accordance with its formative documents.

/John