[ih] principles of the internet

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 13:03:56 PDT 2010

Don't get me wrong.  The ARPANET was huge in terms of proving that
Baran's ideas would work and over provisioning made sure that we were
able to try some pretty advanced stuff and make it work.  When I tell
students that we had a PC with a touch screen accessing distributed
databases over the Net in 1975, they think I am pulling their leg.

In terms of conceptual advances, first there was packet switching and
then the refinement datagrams.  CYCLADES wasn't as influential as it
should have been because Louis ran afoul of the French PTT.  That is
something else I have thought was significant. The ARPANET had the
DOD as a protector even if ATT didn't occupy the same political
position as the PTT, whereas IRIA hand no where near the political
clout to protect CYCLADES.

We were very lucky.