[ih] principles of the internet

Matthias Bärwolff mbaer at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 1 13:54:14 PDT 2010

On 06/01/2010 10:00 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 6/1/2010 11:49 AM, Richard Bennett wrote:
>> The Internet protocols are agnostic about privilege and best-effort, as
>
> Absent standardized QOS, IP is best effort and the transport-level
> reliability mechanisms reflect this, even as weak as they were
> (intentionally) made to be.

Best effort to me seems absolutely central to the "Internet
architecture" -- I'd recommend reading Metcalfe's thesis' chapter 6
which really nicely elaborates the notion.

> This was a major shift from the degree of delivery assurance attempted
> for the Arpanet IMP infrastructure, which was reflected in the /lack/ of
> host-to-host reliability mechanism in the NCP.
>

>> these are layer two functions that are simply outside the scope of a
>
> Except that layer two is not end-to-end and therefore cannot make
> end-to-end service assertions or enforce them.
>

>> I don't know that economics has much to do with this, beyond the
>> assumption that packet-switching is more economical for human-computer
>> interactions than circuit-switching is. The Internet wasn't designed by
>> economists.
>
> Cost-savings, by avoiding NxM combinatorial explosion of communications
> lines, was an explicit and frequently cited motivation for the work, at
> least in terms of what I heard when I came on board in the early 70s.

+1 the avoidance of the nxm problem is all over the literature from the
time (also, Padlipsky's term "common intermediary representations" comes
to mind)

--
Matthias Bärwolff
www.bärwolff.de