[ih] What is the origin of the private network address 192.168.*.*?

Steven Ehrbar stevenehrbar at elp.rr.com
Tue Oct 6 02:26:03 PDT 2009

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Is there a real historical reason for that particular choice of numbers? Why not 127.127..? Or 128.128..?

This is a fuzzy recollection of something I believe I read, which might
well be inaccurate, and for which I can find no corroboration.  I
mention it solely because it might spark memories from someone who
actually knows:

A company used 192.168.x.x example addresses in some early
documentation.  A number of people followed the manual literally when
setting up their internal networks.  As a result, it was already being
used on a rather large number of private networks anyway, so it was
selected when the RFC 1597 was adopted.