[ih] ARPAnet Type 3 packets (datagrams)

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Wed Nov 25 15:05:06 PST 2009

I've discussed this issue recently with a key member of the IMP team at
BBN and he (unsurprisingly) has a very different recollection of the
facts. A datagram mode was added to the IMP and to X.25 switches fairly
early. Datagrams appeared on research networks well before TCP/IP was
defined; CYCLADES had them in 1972.

The BBN people have not been able to tell me whether the NWG ever took
advantage of the datagram mode in the IMP; that was outside their
department.

RB

--
Richard Bennett