[ih] We can hang up now, it's all done.

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Nov 23 21:32:22 PST 2009

>I usually characterize gopher as the way-station between anonymous
>FTP and the web.  In other words, an open-access means of publishing
>things.

For me, the aha moment was when I saw a gopher menu that had entries
from five different servers, making the location of stuff if not
totally irrelevant, at least separate from the navigation.

Anonymous FTP was (and is) plenty useful, but first you tell it where
you want to go, and then what you want once you're there.

R's,
John