[ih] We can hang up now, it's all done.

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Nov 23 12:23:35 PST 2009

Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Marty Lyons wrote:
>> On Nov 22, 2009, at 4:32 PM, John Day wrote:
>>> The earliest AIM, messaging I am aware of was Jim Calvin's Tenex hack
>>> that we used on the ARPANet in 1972.
>>      As
>> best as I was able to determine, the first instance of a terminal to
>> terminal interaction appears to be ".SAVED/WRITE" which was part of
>> CTSS in 1965, and authored by Tom Van Vleck, Noel Morris, and Robert
>> R. Fenichel.
>

> That timeframe matches the various stories I've heard over the years.
>
> By 1969 it was a pretty common feature in anything that supported two or
> more simultaneous users.  I remember using a talk-like feature on a
> small proprietary t/s system my brother was working on then.  (I don't
> remember whether this was the effort that Vint also worked on.)

I'm sure my remebery is of a period in the late 70's or 80's, but the
UNIVAC EXEC 8 OS had terminal-to-console, console-to-console, and
console-to-terminal (and I think terminal-to-terminal).

And then in the latter years, there was Sperrylink.

--
Requiescas in pace o email              Two identifying characteristics
                                              of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
	http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
	http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml