[ih] BGP vs EGP

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Aug 25 08:47:18 PDT 2009

Dave,

The switch to BGP had nothing to do with manual/automatic addition of
backbones or local nets. New backbones and local nets happened all the
time with EGP. Nobody asked anybody, just fired up EGP and/or RIP and/or
Hello and announced their presence. The routing protocols took care of
spanning trees automatically as best they could. There were about 1500
nets at the time BGP lit up. Yes, this broke the third-party rules, but
there was no way nor no need at the time to stop newcomers. The only
thing BGP added to the mix was a rigid administrative control and the
resulting loop prevention.This issue was discussed in depth at the
Technical History of  the Internet Symposium at Harvard some years ago.
My briefing slides used at the symposium are at
www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/colloq.html.

Dave