[ih] RFC 495

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Sep 13 15:39:45 PDT 2006

    > From: John C Klensin <klensin at jck.com>

    >> I see one listed from December, 1974, but that might not be early
    >> enough, because NIC 18639 is dated August, 1973
    >> ..
    >> Interestingly, many of the *other* TELNET spec documents in
    >> the January, 1978 version of the APH appear to be of the same
    >> earlier vintage as the two base TELNET documents in question;
    >> e.g. BINARY Option, NIC 15389 (August, 1973); ECHO Option, NIC
    >> 15390 (August, 1973); etc. What's even more interesting is
    >> that the date on these is the same as the date on the
    >> (presumably later) NIC 18639/18640

    > a preliminary search came up with the same result you found: a volume
    > too late to contain 15372 and 15373

What's the date on the one you have? Is it the December, 1974, version? I ask
because my current theory is that in fact that version probably does contain
15372/15373.

My reasoning is that we know documents with roughly the same numbers (15389,
etc) date from August, 1973, so very probably the original 15372/15373 also
date from then, so there's a good chance the December, 1974 version of the APH
has those earlier versions. I fairly strongly suspect that the 18639/18640
ones were probably prepared (in a snappy font) for the January, 1978 version
of the APH, and only retained the August, 1973 dates because of an editorial
oversight (and perhaps because the content hadn't changed).

So, if anyone has a copy of the December, 1974 version of the APH, I think
it's definitely worth a quick look to see which NIC number of the TELNET spec
it has.

	Noel